Sunday, May 18, 2008

Some thoughts on SciFi's Battlestar Galactica.

I love SciFi Channel's Battlestar Galactica. It is the greatest how on TV and perhaps the greatest science fiction television series of all time. It's better than Quantum Leap. It's better than Sea Quest. It surpasses both Star Trek TNG and Voyager. It's leaps and bounds ahead of Babylon 5 and leaves Stargate in the dust. And if I missed any science fiction programming that you think Battlestar contends with, please let me know. (on that note, the current incarnation of Battlestar is incomparable to that old, campy program of the same name, don't even suggest that that '70's garbage even comes close).

If you haven't watched it than you are missing out, severely, on many levels. But what makes Battlestar Galactica so fucking amazing? The dog fights are pretty neat. Watching Basestars and Battlestars make strafing runs at each other with cannons blazing is up there on the level of cool. Robotic minions with machine guns attached to their arms, also awesome. However, what really tips the scales, in my opinion, is the incredible moral dilemma the characters deal with in every episode.

I really wish I could get into it her on my awful amateur blog, but this epic program is in its 4th and final season. The decision to end the series, by the way, was made by the writers and not the ratings. This means the show will end conclusively like any good story should.

Since the beginning of its 3rd season I have diligently been watching this show every week and ensuring that I do not miss an episode. Luckily, I have of late been able to catch episodes of this magnificent program either through the full episode section of SciFi.com or through the even better, most glorious, hulu.com. Yet last Friday's episode is mysteriously missing from both these completely legal and free web pages. Usually they are updated within a day. I am at a loss and have been checking and rechecking both sites diligently hoping for my much needed Battlestar fix.

Looks like I am going to have to wait until tonight when I can sit down at Eric's, hopefully with a beer, and watch his DVR recording on his HD TV.

No comments: